I want to / need to move from my unit, what do I do?

Posted by newcambridge_admin on

Your ability to move may depend on the type of assistance you have (i.e. tenant-based or project-based voucher). For voucher holders, contact your Leasing Officer to set up a move appointment. They need to determine if you are eligible to move and may need to update your income and other information. For current CHA residents living at one of our … Read More