I want to / need to move from my unit, what do I do?

Posted by newcambridge_admin on

  • Your ability to move may depend on the type of assistance you have (i.e. tenant-based or project-based voucher).
  • For voucher holders, contact your Leasing Officer to set up a move appointment. They need to determine if you are eligible to move and may need to update your income and other information.
  • For current CHA residents living at one of our sites, contact your property management office about a transfer to obtain the official Transfer Request Form or click below to download or view it now: