What happens if the issues cited are not fixed in the allotted time frame?

Posted by newcambridge_admin on

An extension request can be submitted to CHA if there is good cause for the delay in fixing the cited issues in the apartment. For example, if it is a historical building and a window needs to be replaced but the historical department has delayed the approval process then the LL could submit a written request (which is sent with the failed notice of inspection) to extend the timeframe the repairs need to be completed by. This notice must be received by CHA at least ten days in advance of the date the repairs are due. If repairs are not made then the housing assistance payment (HAP) rent can be withheld or the tenant can be terminated pending who is responsible for the repairs.